Parent-Teacher Interviews

For me, parent-teacher interviews have always loomed large over the end of Term One like a large, dark, storm cloud gathering strength. I have always felt that parents expected instant recall of test scores, stories written and conversations held. I always felt nervous about the possible catastrophe lurking as I put my foot in my mouth and say the wrong thing!

Over the last year we have been moving from the more formal teacher-lecture type arrangement to more of a discussion. Children are invited to be the centre of attention and showcase some highlights of their learning throughout the term and set some new goals that parents can have input to.

Image

This model is proving to be very effective- children are taking control and give insights into their thinking and learning that I would never have discovered if I had been doing all the talking myself.

The photo credits go to Kathy Cassidy from her Blogmeister blog. Kathy is a Canadian teacher who teaches Year 1/2 and links with Jody Hayes who teaches in Palmerston North who I met at the Learning at School conference in Rotorua earlier this year, who links with Paul Harrington in Wales that we link with from Appleby. Kathy and I have discussed technical issues of using speakers when Skyping.

ImageOn that subject has anyone got any clever ideas on how to avoid feedback when Skyping when you want the whole class to be in on the conversation. We are fine when we use headphones but it is tricky when the audience is larger?

This photo is of a Skype conversation we had with our link school, Cefn Fforest in Wales late last year. It was podcasted and shared but at the time only one child at a time could really join in as there was a lot of feedback without the headphones on!

2 thoughts on “Parent-Teacher Interviews

1. Agreed that parents expect instant recall of test scores, conversations and stories written! Do you think they often forget we have 20 (or 30!) others in the class!

Congrats on your 100% turn out, I had the same this year but it was HARD work over two nights to speak to them all! All very positive in my instances anyway!